NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fishermen that the Gulf of Mexico greater amberjack recreational fishing season will not reopen for the month of May 2023. The recreational fishing season will reopen August 1, 2023, at the start of the 2023/2024 fishing year..
What this Means:
- The recreational fishing year for greater amberjack is August 1 through July 31 as set by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council and implemented by NOAA Fisheries.
- An emergency rule implemented by NOAA Fisheries on July 25, 2022, and extended on January 23, 2023, temporarily modified the recreational greater amberjack fixed closed season to be August 1-31 and November 1 – July 31 (open September 1 – October 31) for the 2022/2023 recreational fishing year.
- Recreational greater amberjack fishing in the 2022/2023 fishing year for the month of May will remain closed due to the extension of the emergency rule.
- The 2023/2024 recreational greater amberjack fishing season will reopen on August 1, 2023.
Where can I find more information on the Greater Amberjack Emergency Rule?
- Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Kelli O’Donnell
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
The Emergency Rule to Modify the Greater Amberjack Fixed Closed Season Environmental Assessment may be found online at the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office Web site at: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/action/emergency-action-modification-greater-amberjack-recreational-fixed-closed-season.